Butternut Bleu Squash Soup
If Autumn had a flavour, this soup is what it would taste like. And if you ask me, nothing pairs better after a walk in the crisp air and crunch of the leaves underfoot than a bowl of low simmered squash accentuated by aromatics of thyme, sage and parsley, harmonized together by the salty, finish of a nice sharp bleu cheese. Plus, putting it all together will make your house smell WAY better than a pumpkin spiced Sensi or scented candle.
Yields 6 servings
1 Large Shallot or Small Yellow Onion
1 Litre of Chicken or Vegetable stock.
1 bouquet garni of thyme sprig, parsley, sage leaves and bay leaf
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into cubes.
50 grams of bleu cheese
1 Unripened Bartlett Pear
100 ml of White Wine Vinegar
100 ml of Dry White Wine
100 ml of heavy cream
2 TBLS butter
1) Finely chop shallot and over medium high heat, sauté in a pot using butter until translucent.
2) Tie bouquet garni together with some kitchen or butchers string, tying one of the string to the end to the pot handle to remove easily. Add bouquet garni to pot until aromatic.
3) Deglaze the pot with the wine and then add the stock.
4) Add the squash and simmer on low until it becomes mushy.
5) Remove the bouquet garni and zip with an immersion blender or add the contents to a blender and blend until smooth.
6) Return the contents to the pot and turn off the heat.
Bleu Cheese crema
1) In a pan add the cream and the Bleu cheese and simmer on low until the mixture starts to reduce.
2) Once sauce had reached desired thickness, remove from heat and reserve to top soup
1) Core and peel a crispy, unripened Bartlett Pear and cut into matchsticks. Place in a small mason jar.
2) In a small pot combine equal parts white wine vinegar and water to a boil, a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, and a pinch of red chilli flakes.
3) Bring to a boil and immediately pour over pear matchsticks in the mason jar.
Set aside to cool.
Now that your house smells amazing and you’re super hungry, pour soup into a bowl, drizzle blue cheese crema over top and top with pickled pears.